Sunday, August 4, 2013

How I practice or train

As my games progress, I noticed that I become uneasy when the endgame starts. I decided to change my training routine. The new one consist of

  1. Tactics   -  As much as possible   -  50 %
  2. Games   -  No more than 15 games at the time 
  3. Study:  50 %      Alternate between middle game and endgames. At this time I am going through the Grooten's strategy book. I will use for Glenn Flear's for endgames. As I finish these books, I will replace them with other within the same area.
At this time, I do not plan to any opening study. However with white I will start e5 and black g6. I think that the best way to study the opening is to study it as part of the strategy area: a general view of the whole opening. 

Of course, each game I played will be analyzed and commented. I am interested in particular about my thoughts, feelings and mistakes during the game. This is very hard to do with internet games, because the games last many months. Probably I should played out of ChessBase and my comment as the games progress.

I will not use the database to play the game with player that have rating less than 1900. I suspect that those above that number are using them. There is a sudden jump in strength after 1800; I could not believe that some people follow Pirc Austrian attack for 17 moves without looking at a opening book. (Yes, I know that memorize the main line. That tells me that I better play by the book those guys or I will be held below 1900) I am assuming that below that rating most is a tactical play. This includes me!

Tactical training
Very simple: use iChess to solve puzzle until I memorize their solution. Currently I am finishing the master set. I think that memorizing the solution is important to help recognizing similar pattern during actual playing. I am very happy with the software because I found thousands of chess puzzles that iChess let me practice with my kindle fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment